Friday, December 16, 2005

Polygamy Polygny Persnickety

Ok, lately polygamy has gotten a lot of play in the bloggernaccle. (See here, here, and here)

So I have to ask. What is the big deal?

I suppose I just don't understand why a century gone religious practice invites so much interest and discussion. I don't want to be critical of those who are interested in it, nor do I want to be seen as someone who whitewashes the historical record. But I don't see the impact that this topic has in my every day life. Some would say, well this potentially undermines the basis of your religion. I don't think it does, despite the potentially troubling aspects of it. And even if it had the possibility, that is to remote for me to consider. There are other aspects I would be more troubled by (and no Brigham Young's recreational activities are not one of them).

Nor do I find that I have any intellectual interest in this topic. Not just in the "My time is limited, and there are a lot of things higher on my list" sort of way. It is boring. If this issue were a tv show, I would find staring at the wall more intriguing.

Somethings that I previously found boring, have become interesting, through either time or some insight i gained. But I just don't see that happening here. After all polygamy is such a inflammatory and controversial topic, that I should have found something to interest me by now.

But then again, somepeople probably find land use regulations and questions of class action certification dull.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't tell me that Brigham dancing a jig isn't thrilling!

12/23/2005 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home